Triangle delivered a strategic, cost effective platform which allowed Aviva to reduce IT costs while improving service to its business units and policy holders. Aviva now has virtualised data centres which are delivering significant benefits for IT Technology, Service delivery and operations staff.
One of the key principles established early was that the project would build on Aviva’s own strengths and experienced staff in order to maintain skills and reduce risk. The project required the installation, configuration and migration of all existing systems and applications.
The key elements of this solution included:
- Virtualise 180 physical Intel servers into 4 virtualised hosts.
- Consolidate 143 processors of Power/AIX across 26 physical servers to 2 servers with 24 and 16 cores.
- Consolidate a multi-tiered physical disk storage to a single managed layer in three primary disk storage units to include existing file data (unified solution).
- Replace the associated network and SAN fabric to provide improved connectivity in a smaller footprint.
- Replace the existing backup and recovery service hardware with VTL and Veeam; migrate the service.
- Provide software (VMware Log Insight) that enhances the management of the environment.
- Professional services to design, build, test, migrate and support the solution.
- Triangle service desk for incident management, post project.
- Design and test of BCRS procedures.
Aviva benefitted in many ways as a result of this project. With their infrastructure transformed, Aviva is on a stronger growth path to take advantage of the general recovery in the Irish economy. Their data centre has become smarter, more flexible, scalable and agile enough to adapt rapidly to the business needs.